sane-project-website/old-archive/1998-11/0255.html

127 wiersze
5.4 KiB
HTML

This file contains invisible Unicode characters!

This file contains invisible Unicode characters that may be processed differently from what appears below. If your use case is intentional and legitimate, you can safely ignore this warning. Use the Escape button to reveal hidden characters.

<!-- received="Thu Nov 26 11:51:27 1998 PST" -->
<!-- sent="Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:25:27 -0500 (EST)" -->
<!-- name="Andrew M. Kuchling" -->
<!-- email="akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us" -->
<!-- subject="Remote Microscope software 1.0a1 released" -->
<!-- id="" -->
<!-- inreplyto="" -->
<title>sane-devel: Remote Microscope software 1.0a1 released</title>
<h1>Remote Microscope software 1.0a1 released</h1>
<i>Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:25:27 -0500 (EST)</i>
<ul>
<!-- next="start" -->
<!-- nextthread="start" -->
<!-- reply="end" -->
</ul>
<!-- body="start" -->
Version 1.0alpha1 of CNRI's Remote Microscope software is now<br>
available. The Remote Microscope system allows users to access and<br>
control an optical microscope over the Internet using a Java applet,<br>
as demonstrated at the recent Python conference. <br>
This is relevant to the SANE list because it uses SANE and, in<br>
particular, David Skoll's DMC backend to handle the acquisition of<br>
images.<br>
Overview<br>
========<br>
As part of the MEMS Exchange project, CNRI is working on fully<br>
automated and remotely controllable semiconductor inspection<br>
microscopes to let chip designers view their wafers from any location<br>
having an Internet connection. However, Internet microscope access<br>
can be useful in other fields, such as biology or material science.<br>
We're releasing the code for our microscope software in the hope that<br>
other people will find it useful and will contribute suggestions,<br>
improvements, ports to new systems, etc.<br>
The system consists of a server that manages the microscope and<br>
handles TCP connections, and Java-based client software that allows<br>
users to control the microscope. Currently the server software has<br>
been run on a Linux machine connected to the following devices:<br>
* Leica INM200 optical microscope<br>
* Polaroid Digital Microscope Camera <br>
It shouldn't be too difficult to get the server running on other<br>
operating systems. Adding support for a different digital camera or<br>
microscope will be more difficult, but such portability is important<br>
to us, so we're willing to provide guidance and help to anyone trying<br>
to do that. Extensibility is important to us, because one of our<br>
future goals is to extend the system to support different microscopes<br>
and cameras, and even other inspection devices such as scanning<br>
electron microscopes and profilometers.<br>
Where to find it<br>
================<br>
At the Remote Microscope home page, you can find screen shots, more<br>
technical information, the software license, and the actual code.<br>
Remote Microscope home page:<br>
Requirements<br>
The client software should run in any Java virtual machine that<br>
supports version 1.1 of the Java specifications. We've been using<br>
either Netscape 4.06 and up, or the 1.1 version of Sun's JDK.<br>
The server software requires Python, the Python Imaging Library, and<br>
the SANE (Scanners Are Now Easy) API. Consult the following URLs for<br>