sane-project-website/old-archive/1998-03/0174.html

173 wiersze
6.9 KiB
HTML

This file contains invisible Unicode characters!

This file contains invisible Unicode characters that may be processed differently from what appears below. If your use case is intentional and legitimate, you can safely ignore this warning. Use the Escape button to reveal hidden characters.

<!-- received="Wed Mar 25 23:09:49 1998 PST" -->
<!-- sent="Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:08:42 +0800 (SGT)" -->
<!-- name="Mathias Koerber" -->
<!-- email="mathias@koerber.org" -->
<!-- subject="Dimage Scan Dual - request for Tech Info" -->
<!-- id="" -->
<!-- inreplyto="" -->
<title>sane-devel: Dimage Scan Dual - request for Tech Info</title>
<h1>Dimage Scan Dual - request for Tech Info</h1>
<i>Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:08:42 +0800 (SGT)</i>
<ul>
<!-- next="start" -->
<!-- nextthread="start" -->
<!-- reply="end" -->
</ul>
<!-- body="start" -->
MATHIAS KOERBER<br>
Blk 405, #10-689<br>
Ang Mo Kio Ave 10<br>
Tel: +65 / 5524250<br>
email: <a href="mailto:mathias@koerber.org">mathias@koerber.org</a><br>
To: Mr Jesmond Soh<br>
Minolta Camera Servive<br>
Singapore<br>
Fax: +65 / 732 5631<br>
Tel: +65 / 732 9910<br>
Date: 26 March 1998<br>
Mr Soh,<br>
I would like to thank you for your telephone call in response to my<br>
first fax, and for the offer to help me obtain the necessary documents<br>
regarding the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual Film Scanner.<br>
As explained in the earlier fax, I recently (December 97) bought such a<br>
unit and I am quite happy with it. However, ths scanner is only supported<br>
under the Windows Operating Systems on a PC or on the Macintosh.<br>
Alas, my PC at home is not usually used with Windows (3.1 or 95), as I<br>
have other requirements, and thus use the Linux Operating system<br>
I would very much like to be able to use the scanner with Linux, to avoid<br>
having to always re-boot into Win95 only to scan a few pictures.<br>
There is an effort underways to provide a unified interface to graphical<br>
input devices for UNIX operating systems (of which Linux is one), which<br>
current supports quite a number of scanners and digital cameras.<br>
(Just porting the TWAIN interface used in the Macintosh and<br>
Windows is not possible, as TWAIN does not cleanly separate<br>
the scanner access from the windowing system, and is thus not<br>
portable, this is also explained at the SANE homepage (see below))<br>
This effort is called SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy), and more information<br>
Here is a list of the currently available drivers for SANE:<br>
sane-canon for Canon scanners <br>
sane-coolscan for Nikon Coolscan film scanners <br>
sane-dmc for the Polaroid Digital Microscope Camera <br>
sane-epson for Epson scanners <br>
sane-hp for HP scanners <br>
sane-microtek for Microtek scanners <br>
sane-mustek for Mustek scanners <br>
sane-pint for PINT-interface <br>
sane-pnm for testing applications <br>
sane-qcam for QuickCam cameras <br>
sane-s9036 for Siemens 9036 scanners <br>
sane-snapscan for Agfa SnapScan scanners (pre-beta) <br>
sane-tamarack for Tamarack and ESCOM scanners <br>
sane-umax for UMAX scanners and Linotype Hell Jade (see also author's -home page) <br>
here is a list of Operating systems which SANE works on:<br>
AIX 4.1<br>
Apollo Domain/OS<br>
DEC UNIX v4.0<br>
FreeBSD v2.2.5/v3.0<br>
FreeBSD v3.0<br>
FreeSCO OpenServer 5<br>
HP-UX v9.05<br>
IRIX v5.2<br>
Linux/Alpha v2.0<br>
Linux/m68k v2.0<br>
Linux/SPARC v2.0<br>
Linux/x86 v2.0<br>
NetBSD<br>
OS/2<br>
OpenStep/m68k<br>
OpenStep/x86<br>
Solaris/SPARC v5.5.1<br>
SunOS/SPARC v4.1.4<br>
Note, that Linux alone is estimated to have more than 3 million<br>
reasoning for this claim and for the hard data). The other<br>
operating systems like Solaris, AIX and Digital Unix are also very<br>
widespread, especially in the workstation market.<br>
Obviously, it would not be in Minolta's interest to ignore this<br>
sizeable market. However, currently no Minolta Scanner Backend<br>
is available for SANE, and users of Linux (and the other systems listed<br>
above) will have to choose some other scanner..<br>
The main reason why there is no Minolta Backend is that the necessary<br>
information is not (freely, easily) available, and that Minolta<br>
also has not seen fit to provide a SANE backend (yet).<br>
If this information was made available to the SANE community, there are<br>
a number of programmers waiting to attempt the development of the<br>
driver. (This is how most if not all of the current SANE backends<br>
have been developed, as a community effort).<br>
I would thus like to request that Minolta make available the necessary<br>
documents to the SANE community, or alternative that Minolta pitch in to<br>
this effort and develop their own driver for SANE (for more information<br>
see the SANE homepage listed above)..<br>
I myself would be one of the developers attempting such a driver..<br>
Without knowing too many details I think the following would be the<br>
information required:<br>
1. The SCSI commandset used to control the scanner<br>
(incl the APS cartridge) including all<br>
parameters, options and returncodes.<br>
2. The data formats used by the scanner (native graphics<br>
format etc)<br>
3. If it exists, the Programmers guide for the device.<br>
I would again thank you for your assistance<br>
Best regards<br>
Mathias Koerber<br>
<pre>