sane-project-website/old-archive/1996-12/0006.html

101 wiersze
5.7 KiB
HTML

<!-- received="Sat Dec 14 16:10:38 1996 MST" -->
<!-- sent="Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:55:11 -0700" -->
<!-- name="David Mosberger-Tang" -->
<!-- email="davidm@azstarnet.com" -->
<!-- subject="invitation to join SANE development (Scanner Access Now Easy)" -->
<!-- id="199612142255.PAA19624@panda.mosberger" -->
<!-- inreplyto="" -->
<title>sane-devel: invitation to join SANE development (Scanner Access Now Easy)</title>
<h1>invitation to join SANE development (Scanner Access Now Easy)</h1>
<i>Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:55:11 -0700</i>
<ul>
<!-- next="start" -->
<!-- nextthread="start" -->
<!-- reply="end" -->
</ul>
<!-- body="start" -->
Since you're the author of one of the Linux scanner packages, we would<br>
like to invite you to take a look at the SANE package. We would very<br>
much welcome if you would consider joining the development efforts by<br>
providing feedback on the proposed standard and/or porting a driver to<br>
it.<br>
SANE is an attempt to provide a uniform yet versatile API to raster<br>
scanner hardware (scanners, frame grabbers, still cameras, etc.).<br>
SANE was born out of the frustration that under Linux, each scanner<br>
driver writer also had to write his/her own scanning utility. This<br>
leads to a lot of wasted time and needless duplication of efforts. We<br>
therefore created a very simple API that solves this problem by<br>
providing a well-defined intermediate "language" that allows any<br>
user-interface to talk to any scanner driver. We already have a<br>
nearly full-featured command-line-based user-interface (called<br>
"frontend" in SANE-speak), a graphical user-interface that works<br>
either as a GIMP plug-in or as a standalone program (this is still<br>
under development, but basic scanning works already and progress is<br>
being made quickly). As for drivers, there is currently support for<br>
Mustek flatbed scanners and for a pseudo-device that allows to read<br>
and manipulate PPM files (the latter is primarily a vehicle to show<br>
how to write a SANE backend, but it is fully functional). There is<br>
also a "meta-backend" that uses (ELF) dynamic linking to provide<br>
transparent access to any other backend (this means that installing a<br>
new driver consists simply of installing a new shared library---none<br>
of the scanner applications will have to change or be relinked).<br>
Well, enough dribble. If you're interested, please take a look at:<br>
This web page contains a pointer to the online documentation for the<br>
proposed SANE standard (both html and PostScript are available) as<br>
well as a pointer to the existing source code and a mailing list<br>
archive.<br>
Please be aware that this is still pre-beta software and that the<br>
"standard" is still open to changes (in fact, as mentioned above, your<br>
thoughts would be very welcome). Thus, we would prefer if you would<br>
not announce this information widely at this point. We plan to do so<br>
fairly soon, but don't feel that we have quite reached the point where<br>
we should do so publicly. However, things should be stable enough<br>
that it would be safe to write more backends or frontends based on the<br>
current code and documentation. It is, of course, perfectly all-right<br>
to forward this mail to other people who you think might be interested<br>
in actively contributing to the SANE development efforts.<br>
I believe SANE is a unique opportunity to significantly advance the<br>
state of the art for scanner support under Linux and Unix in general.<br>
SANE is young enough that you can make an important and lasting<br>
contribution to this effort. If you share the excitement for this<br>
opportunity and are tired of writing a scanning utility _again_,<br>
please take a minute to look at SANE and determine how it might fit<br>
with your software---and by all means join the SANE developers mailing<br>
list (<a href="mailto:sane-devel@azstarnet.com">sane-devel@azstarnet.com</a>). The volume on that mailing list is<br>
very reasonable so that it does not consume a lot of time.<br>
Enjoy,<br>
--david<br>
<pre>
--
David Mosberger-Tang; Dept. of CS; The University of Arizona; Tucson, AZ 85721
<pre>